Friday, January 4, 2008

Beer Pong and Togas

So apparently drinking games and themed parties make crazy college kids drink more. (shocking)
That's right.... games and costumes become dangerous once little kiddies go off to school.
According to a study released by ScienceDaily,
"Most studies use survey methods that require people to recall their drinking behavior -- days, weeks or months prior -- and such recall is not always accurate," noted J.D. Clapp, director of the Center for Alcohol and Drug Studies and Services at San Diego State University and corresponding author for the study.
.... 'not accurate'... (again, shocked)
"In addition," said James A. Cranford, research assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Michigan, "this study is unique in its focus on both individual- and environmental-level predictors of alcohol involvement. Rather than relying on students' reports of the environment, researchers actually gained access to college-student parties and made detailed observations about the characteristics of these parties."
I wonder what college kids let the researchers in? I can see it now: a 40-year old man taking down answers to questions while the subject being interviewed sings "I'm Gonna Buy You a Drank" intermittently and then passes out ...
Pretty sure any college student could tell you that drinking games make you drink more. And (thanks to my dad's old college friends) I am sure that the games have made many a memorable (or not so memorable) party for a while now.
I mean really were the tests given as the drunkards stumbled towards their DDs?

No comments: